These are the 10 DEMANDS made at The National Funeral for the Unknown Victim of Traffic Violence direct action and die-in on 15 November 2014.
Click on the headings to read more details about each.
- Link to this page: http://StopTheKilling.org.uk/The10Demands
– set up a national, multi-billion pound programme to convert residential communities across Britain into living-street Home Zones and abolish dangerous rat-runs.
– establish a national programme to fund pedestrianisation of our city and town centres, including the nation’s high-street, Oxford Street.
– introduce and enforce speed limit of 20 mph on all urban roads, 40 mph on rural roads/lanes and 60 mph on all other trunk roads.
– invest £15 billion in a National Segregated Cycle Network over the next 5 years.
– ban trucks with blind spots by making safety equipment mandatory and strictly enforce current truck-safety regulations, to reduce levels of illegally dangerous trucks down from estimated 30% to less than 1%.
– introduce a presumed civil liability law on behalf of vehicular traffic when they kill or seriously injure vulnerable road-users, where there is no evidence blaming the victim.
– make it mandatory for particulate filters that meet latest EU emission standards to be fitted to all existing buses, lorries and taxis.
– introduce pedestrian crossing times long enough for elderly disabled to cross. Legalise filtered junction crossings by cyclists with strict legal priority for pedestrians and carry out urgent programme of physically protected left-hand turns for cyclists.
– all transport fuels to be from truly environmentally-sustainable, renewable sources within 10 years.
– Transport governance must make safety and quality of life the top priority. Reform all council transport departments, the Department of Transport and Transport for London into Cycling, Walking and Transport Departments with formal pedestrian and cyclist representation.
In January 2014, we set out our demands for changes required in London; You can read those HERE.