Dear Organisation X,
Re: Endorsement of The National Funeral for the Unknown Victim of Traffic Violence, Oxford Street, London: Saturday November 15th, 2014
I am writing to you to ask if your organisation would be willing to endorse this major grassroots protest.
Grassroots activists from Stop Killing Cyclists and Stop The Killing are organising the first ever massive, peaceful, dignified National Funeral for the Unknown Victim of Traffic Violence, to be held along Oxford Street to Marble Arch,to symbolically mark all those who have lost their lives or had them destroyed on Britain’s roads from:
- Traffic Violence;
- Obesity, through fear of walking or cycling; and,
- Worldwide effects of climate change.
The direct action is timed to fall on the weekend of the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims.
The staggering number of deaths and injuries resulting from UK motorised traffic over the last decade stands at 2,400,000 people. This equates to the combined populations of Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and Cardiff.
We need to end the culture of acceptance that surrounds traffic violence and bring together road users of all kinds from across the country to demand real change in the way roads are perceived as public spaces, and to bring this carnage and environmental destruction to an urgent end.
The National Funeral Protest will present our Ten Demands that are calling for urgent action from local and national government.
We need your organisation’s help ensure this event’s message is as powerful as can be.
Endorsing the event would mean that we would add you to the list of endorsing organisations on our website and we request that you encourage as many of your members/supporters to attend the event. They can sign up on our Facebook event page to let us know the numbers we need to plan for.
I look forward to hearing from you.
National Funeral for the Unknown Victim of Traffic Violence
Notes for Information:
Our email: contact@StopTheKilling.org.uk
Launch video for the National Funeral on YouTube: http://goo.gl/v3KRtz
Facebook Event page: http://goo.gl/DX2l13
Stop Killing Cyclists website: www.StopKillingCyclists.org
Stop The Killing website: www.StopTheKilling.org.uk
- Stop Killing Cyclists is the direct action protest group set up after the recent spate of cyclist killings in London. They arranged the mass Die-In at TfL HQ where 1,500 cyclists lay down in the road in protest at the lack of safety investment in London.
- Stop The Killing is the associated group of pedestrian, cycling and environmental grass-root activists who want to eliminate traffic violence.
- Some of the statistics which the National Funeral wishes to highlight are at http://StopTheKilling.org.uk/PyramidOfDeath
- The National Funeral protest’s 10 Demands are at http://StopTheKilling.org.uk/The10Demands